viernes, 23 de julio de 2010

Carmilla


One of my best friends in this world told me that I should read this book that I would be able to find it in any local bookstore and I did. I wasn't even looking for it, just one day, while looking for new books, it was right there, new cover, new publication.

Carmilla was written by Joseph Sheridan de Fanu and published in the magazine The Dark Blue in 1872! Yes, it is an old story!

So, I believe that reviews can go for new books but also for old ones. In that way we all get to know about everything and make our lives a bit more interesting.

Well, eventhough it is old, this short story ( more like a tale) is amazing. When you look at the date it was published you can't help to admire the writing and how the story perfectly fits today's vampire's books. The style makes you want to devour it and you will once you have it in your hands.

One thing is for sure, you need to know that once you are set on reading it you have to have in mind that it is an old story and that it is more like a short story than a whole book. I did not know what I was getting myself into and began reading it and was getting kind of bored until I did a bit of research and appreciated it from what it is: A classic.

The book gives us the story of Laura a girl that lives isolated in a castle with the only company of her father and her servants. One day a misterious girl, Carmilla, comes home for an unexpected visit and a different kind of life.

It is intriguing and despite it's time the main characters are women! It is full of suspense and thrilling emotions. There's no romance and it sure won't involve highschool love but it is a most in the vampire literature.

Have a Fangtastic Tale!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario