lunes, 5 de julio de 2010

Vampire Kisses 1 (Vampire Kisses Series)


I did not buy this book. I got the pdf because you can not find in Mexico and because I've seen it everywhere. So, I decided to get it.

Vampire Kisses 1 is the first in a series of 7 books (coming up the 8th) written by Ellen Schreiber and publish on 2003.

The book begins telling us the story of Raven's childhood. She was born from hippie love between her parents and grew up in a hippie environment and with an early obsession with vampires. As the years went by and her parents became a responsible couple they changed into a normal family with the excepcion of Raven Madison. She never changed, she always kept her obsession with vampires and as she became a teenager she decided her outfits would consist of variable shades of black.

Raven is an outcast in a town that she calls Dullsville and has one friend, Becky. She be-friended her because she is the one that protects her. When a new family comes in town and the rumours of the family being vampires Raven found a reason to go through her days. She actually believes in vampires. She gets into this family's world when she meets Alexander, a 17 year old kid that lives in the "haunted" mansion in town and is part of this weird family.

This book is weird. It begins with Raven's childhood wich is colorful. I mean it was nice reading the childhood description. I found it a bit funny since we got to see that through a child's perspective. However, once we got into the 16 year old life things went downhill.

At times, Raven reminded me of Roxy in "A Girl's Guide to Vampires" and if you have read my review you'll understand that's not a good thing. Not remotely close. Raven is a well planned character, but is the only one. The rest of the characters are just there for the sake of the story but not developed in any sense.

Raven believing in vampires was a bit too much and her stalking Alexander was childish, immature and utterly boring. Most of the part of the story was unnecessary since all we wanted to know was if Alexander was a vampire and it was kind of obvious he was.

The story ends with a horrible cliffhanger that makes you wonder what was the whole point of the whole book. This first book feels like just the prologue of the whole series for me. I haven't read the other books but that's just the way it felt to me.

Now, if you look closer to Schreiber's series you will realize that her target audience is pre-teens and that's just what I told my husband once I was over with the book. If you want your 11-12 year old kid to start reading give them this book. It is short, it has romance, teen related subjects and it might just get them into books.

If you are not 12 years old, do not read the book. I will read the second book because, like I said, I just read the Prologue to some story that might, or might not, get interesting on the long road. The truth is that I just want to know a bit more about Alexander who seemed like a cool vampire and we got to read about him in like 4 pages. So, I'll sit down and I'm sure that in 2 hours I'll be done and will decide if the series is worth reading or not.

Have a Fangtastic Tale!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario