domingo, 11 de julio de 2010

A Hunger Like No Other (Immortasl After Dark Series)


Well I got to this book because a Twitter follower asked me to review it so I went on to do some research and since there is no way I could get those books in Mexico I had to get it in pdf. AGAIN. We are a little book deprived over here! Anyway, here I go.

This book is the second in a series of 10 books ( the 10th coming up this August). Published in 2006 and written by Kresley Cole. I am going straight to the second book because the first one is a short tale that makes a small introduction to the mythology. However, after reading the first one, I can guarantee you that you could easily skip it and go for the second without missing a thing.

The story begins as Emmaline Troy is in Paris desperately searching for her parents' story. She is half Vampire (father's side) and half Valkyrie (mother's side) and raised by Valkyrie. She feels inadecuate in a world where vampires are enemies. As she is in a coffee shop wondering if she should just give up, a man comes up to her and remembering her aunt's advice she runs away. She knows everything about mythical creatures, however, she has never seen one besides her Valkyrie family.

Lachlain MacRieve has been locked up by vampires in the catacombs for 150 years. Condemned to burn over and over again. Since he is a Lykae, he is immortal so, he can not die. When he is about to burn to death once again he catches a scent that makes his heart skip a beat. He knows she is her mate. Lykae find only on mate in their whole existance and they have to claim them as their own to live their lives together without anyone harming them. When he catches her scent he gets free from the restrains that had held him for 15 decades, losing a leg in the process, just to get to her. When he finally finds her, he realizes that her mate has got fangs. She is a vampire, his one and only enemy.

I gotta say that this book was a bit too difficult to read. First the mythology is not well explained from the beginning so you have to read very carefully so you can understand. Then, the sexual part of the story is just too much. The fact that everything revolves around sex the first 100 pages is just too much. It comes a time when there's no sex involved (shocker) and you get to realize that the plot is not so bad. The love story is nice and even got me smiling once or twice but then it only last like 10 pages. I think that this book is another example of how the plot was just an excuse to write sex scenes. I'm not against sex scenes in books or anything, I just think that if you are going to write one it has to be completely justified because you could totally fall into the cheap books section. Plus, the sex is way too graphic and I believe that this lady, Kresley Cole, has some S&M fetish and rough sex, really I do. By the way, Lachlain has to be very well endowed, OBVIOUSLY. I'm sorry this is just not my cup of tea.

All in all I did not like the book, the writting is too messy. It is all over the place. It is narrated in third person so it is difficult to know which point of view are we reading and the love scenes, where the couple is finally happy and in love, are not written with as much effort as the sex scenes.

One good thing is that the mythology is rich and has every character developed. I just think that Cole fails at describing it. I think that she got herself a mythology bigger than the story itself and did not know how to merge them in one book without leaving aside the main characters.

Needless to say this is not a book for kids. I would not even give this book to teenagers. Seriously.

If you like well written stories, with developed character. Stories that make you think. This is not a book for you. If you like stories with lots, LOTS, of sex and little action and love scenes. Then this is a book for you.

Have a Fangtastic Tale!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario